(SOLVED) Tutorial 1 - Installation
 2 Replies
Sort:
Topic is locked
Author Messages

Daniel Dean

--
05 Jan 2011 09:51 PM
    alright a few bits I've noticed going through the first tutorial, mostly small things. point out if im kinda missing the point pretty please.

1 “If you're planning on using location services then we suggest you select Yes to download the latest location information towards the end of the installation process. Press Next to proceed to the following screen.” Personally I would prefer a quick explanation of what locations services are, or a “we recommend yes/no” or some such, for those who have just dived in its helpful, and for those who have taken time to check up on the framework they already know what they’re doing and will ignore it (a quick “allows the mobile device to report its location to the server” in ( )’s would seem a helpful clarification here).

2 “Use this link to obtain a license key. Paste the license key provided into the text box shown on the screen. Note: The license key provided will be validated at the end of the installation process. If it is not valid a warning will be displayed but the installation will complete. The license key will need to be updated manually.”

Is it not possible to have the installer immediately validate the license key? Or does it not do that for a particular reason? Just means its one less thing for the user to do (and also means that the small group who get the wrong license key won’t spend the 5 or so minutes it takes grumbling and most likely blaming the software more than anything) if it can’t be changed to validate the key immediately then at least point out where the manual change can be made...

3 Spellings:
    Most of these seem to be just the difference between American/English spelling, but ill throw them up anyway:

“Select the relevent project type for your prefered development language. The screen below shows the New Project dialogue for a C# Mobile Web Applicaiton.” -> Select the relevant project type for your preferred development language. The screen below shows the New Project dialogue for a C# Mobile Web Application.

“You are now ready to start developing your first Mobile Web Application with 51Degrees.mobi Framework. If the installation has not progressed as described in this tutorial please refere to the FAQ page for common issues assicated with installation.” ->
    “You are now ready to start developing your first Mobile Web Application with 51Degrees.mobi Framework. If the installation has not progressed as described in this tutorial please refer to the FAQ page for common issues associated with installation.”

also sorry this has taken 3 days in coming - the world decided that this is the week I need to do things - should be able to get down to most of them tomorrow.

Murali Setty

--
    13 Jan 2011 08:16 AM
    Have updated the tutorial where ever relevant.

Murali

James Rosewell

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2011 09:46 PM
    I've reworded the 1st point in Daniel's post to explain more clearly for those that will not have read the documentation. I've also addressed what I think are the spelling issues. Murali, Regarding the 2nd point and the position of licence validation. I'm incline to agree with Daniel that the current position of the licence validation doesn't make sense for those used to Microsoft products. Basically the installation will not proceed unless the license key is valid. Can we request and validate the licence key at the beginning of the process? Regards, James
    Topic is locked