Incorrect device detection
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

khizar ahmed

--
17 May 2018 10:18 AM
    Many times I have noticed that 51 Degrees detected incorrect information about the device even when the user agent vividly contains that model and name of the device manufacturer. Let me give you an example of following user agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 7.1.1; en-US; Redmi_Note_5_Pro Build/NGI77B) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1" If someone closely observes the user agent, even human can detect that device is manufactured by "redMi corporation" and model name should be note5 but your database does not give me any such information and gives me generic brand name instead of correct one.

I would like to know what is your opinion on this or is there is any workaround to solve this problem?

khizar ahmed

--
    18 May 2018 09:23 AM
    I have also noticed one more anomaly that if the user agent is from UC-mini web browser then in most cases all the information related to user device is generic and mostly incorrect

Amos Tamang

--
    18 May 2018 10:33 AM
    Hi khizar,

Thanks for your question. The reason you’re encountering this is that we’ve never seen this specific User-Agent format before from across our millions of global deployments. In situations like this an attempt to perform a guess match will occur. This can be evidenced on our User-Agent tester: https://51degrees.com/resources/use..._MEXT_IAB+

The two key elements here are the ‘difference’ and ‘method’. With a known User-Agent the method will return ‘exact’ and in other cases it may return ‘nearest’ or ‘closest’. The difference value indicates the confidence indicator, the lower the value the more confidence our system has in the detection result. In this case the returned method is closest and the difference is 76 which indicates a low confidence in the result. These results can help customers to identify false positives. More information on the methods can be found here: https://51degrees.com/support/docum...on/pattern

To resolve your problem we will manually insert the User-Agent you have provided into our database so it will instead resolve as an exact match for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro. This change should be available in next Monday’s Enterprise data file.

We encourage all customers to enable usage sharing where possible, this will give us visibility of uncommon User-Agents so that we can ensure these are processed efficiently. If this isn’t possible for your project you can send User-Agents that you believe may not be resolving as expected directly to us and we can help that way. How to enable usage sharing in Java can be found below and you can find instructions for other API’s in the relevant sections in our website documentation. https://51degrees.com/Developers/Do...ge-Sharing

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Amos

Amos Tamang

--
    18 May 2018 10:47 AM
    Hi khazir,

In regards to your UC mini browser question; can you send examples of the User-Agents you believe are detecting erroneously to datasupport@51degrees.com and we will check if the device is generic.

Kind regards,
    Amos
    You are not authorized to post a reply.