(Closed) Missing Hardware Properties
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

ggraves

--
03 Feb 2017 10:31 PM
    We are using the .Net parsing library with the Enterprise data. On examining the results of recent device matches, I found that over half of the user agent strings we have parsed with the 51 degrees parser do not have usable properties for the HardwareVendor, HardwareFamily, and HardwareModel properties. The HardwareFamily property value is 'Emulator' in most cases. An example user agent string that suffers from this problem is: "Outlook-Express/7.0 (MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/7.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR".

How can we improve the success rate for determining useful hardware properties?

Joseph Dix

--
    08 Feb 2017 04:10 PM
    Apologies for the delay in response. I will look into this and get back to you.

Regards,
    Joe

Joseph Dix

--
    09 Feb 2017 12:14 PM
    When the HardwareFamily property returns a value of emulated, it means that the device does not report any physical hardware information. This is usually the case for desktop web browsers, email clients etc.. We can't populate these values as there is no indication of the hardware in these User-Agent strings. Desktop Operating Systems and Browsers don't report the physical properties of the device they are running on with the exception of maybe a tablet running a full version of Windows.

As an example, this is a User-Agent string for a mobile device: "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0; Nexus 5 Build/MRA58N) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/55.0.2883.87 Mobile Safari/537.36"

This User-Agent contains the string "Nexus 5 Build/MRA58N" which tells us that the device is a Nexus 5 and from that we can determine the physical hardware properties.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
    Joe
    You are not authorized to post a reply.