- Install 51Degrees.mobi with a licence key and optional components.
- Confirm the installation has been successful by checking Visual Studio.
The .Net Mobile Framework is compatible with the following platforms.
- VS 2008/VS 2010, Windows XP with SP2, ASP.Net development server.
- VS 2008/VS 2010, .Net Framework 2.0 SP2+, Windows 2003, IIS 6.
- VS 2008/VS 2010, Windows 7/Windows 2008, IIS 7+.
- Windows 2000 Adv Server with IIS 5+.
- Windows 2003 with IIS 6 and .Net Framework 2.0 SP2+.
- Windows 7/Windows 2008 with IIS 7+.
Step 1 - Initial Preferences
Download the latest version of 51Degrees.mobi from the web site. Execute the downloaded file. A screen similar to the following will appear.
Press the Next button to proceed to the following screen.
If you're happy with the licence agreement then check the I accept the terms of this License Agreement check box and press the Next button to proceed to the following screen.
If you're planning on developing a mobile web application that will use our location controls to determine the current location of the mobile device then we suggest you check the I accept the terms of this License Agreement check box to download the latest location database from MaxMind towards the end of the installation process. If you know you're never going to develop a location aware mobile application you do not need to accept this license.
Step 1b - If No Internet Connection:
If the installation machine is not connected to the internet but you wish to develope location aware applications follow these steps to obtain the required location database file after installation has completed.
- Download the MaxMind GeoLiteCity.dat.gz file from this Url http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLiteCity.dat.gz
- Decompress the file using fiftyOne_Decompress.exe found in the product installation folder following installation. Use the following syntax to decompress using the tool.
...Net Mobile Framework:\>fiftyOne_Decompress.exe GeoLiteCity.dat.gz
- Copy the decompressed file GeoLiteCity.dat to the product installation folder.
Choose Next to proceed to the following screen.
Step 2 - License Key
The following Product License Key input screen will appear after the License Agreement screens.
If you have purchased a license key paste the license key text into the textbox.
A license key does not have to be entered. If the text box is left blank a 7 day trial license key will automatically be obtained from our web site.
Step 2b – If No Internet Connection
If the computer being used for the installation does not have an internet connection complete the following steps.
- Log into the 51Degrees.mobi web site. If you have not already done so you’ll need to register.
- Navigate to the Resources -> Downloads web page.
- Scroll down to the module titled .NET Mobile Framework - Trial License Key.
- Copy the trial license key from the section and paste it into License Key text box shown in the installer.
to continue the installation.
Step 3 – User Profile & Folders
If all users of the computer should have access to the 51Degrees.mobi menu items select the All Users option. If only the user performing the installation should have access then select the Current User option.
Choose Next to proceed to the following screen.
Choose the folder you'd like to install to and choose to Next to continue.
Choose Next to confirm the previous selections and start the installation process.
Step 4 - Installation in progress
After collecting all the required input from the previous screens the installation will commence and the following status screen will appear. After downloading additional files, copy files the installer will configure Visual Studio to support 51Degrees.mobi Project templates, Item templates and Toolbox items. This process can take many minutes so please be patient.
Step 5 – Finally
After the installation has completed the following screen appears to provide quick options to start Visual Studio and open the online version of these Tutorials provide quick start guides for mobile web application development.
Step 6 - Validating Installation
Installation will now be complete and we need to confirm Visual Studio is linked correctly to 51Degrees.mobi .Net Mobile Framework. Open Visual Studio and create a new project. You should find under both the Visual C# and Visual Basic project types a new folder titled Mobile. Under mobile you will find a C# or Visual Basic Mobile Web Application. Select the relevent project type for your prefered development language. The screen below shows the New Project dialogue for a C# Mobile Web Applicaiton.
Once the project has been created use the Add New Item menu option to view some of the new mobile template options available under the Mobile category. There is no need to add a new item at this stage. The following screen shows the new templates available for a Visual C# project type.
If the installation has been successful you will see a screen similar to the following with a web page in design mode and the option to add new controls under the menu heading 51Degrees.mobi on the left hand side of the screen.